Sunday, April 19, 2009

Wat Pho and The Grand Palace

















Hello Everyone!
Yesterday Khazna and I decided to do some site seeing. We packed ourselves up and took off towards the boats. They have boats here that run up and down the river to different stops, it's kinda like taking the bus. After figuring out how to get where we wanted to go we hopped aboard and we were off. I'm absolutely amazed no one fell in the river, the boat doesn't stop and tie itself up, they simply throw a loop of rope over a post and throw it into reverse to pull the boat close enough for people to quickly get on and off. The stop we got off at looked like we stepped off the jungle boat ride at Disney.
Our first stop was Wat Pho, the temple of the reclining Budda. There was so much to see there that we dicided we sould have to come back and explore more. Everywhere we turned there were walls of statues. Along with the main temple, ther were several smaller temples in the complex. This location is said to be the first Thai massage school. When we finally got to the reclining Budda I was absolutely astounded by the size. I as expecting a large statue but It's feet alone were easily twice as tall as me. It was absolutely amazing!
Next we went to the Grand Palace. It was literally dazzleing! All of the walls were either extremely intricately painted with astounding detail or, completely covered with mosaics or tiny colored mirrors. Even the statues were covered with these mirrors. It was absolutely impossible to take it all in. We decided we are going to have to go back and spend more time there too. The amount of time and the exactness that it would take to create something like this is completely mind boggling. The Grand Palace is also the home of the jade Budda. They don't allow pictures of this statue from inside the temple but they do allow you to zoom in as close as you can from a door they have open but blocked off. My picture is a bit fuzzy but it's not too bad.
By the time we returned to the hotel we were both exausted and decided to nap before working. I personally was thankful for one of my purchases. I bought a sun umbrella. That's right they sell UV protectant silver reflectant sun umbrellas. It was only 100 BHT and with as hot as it's been and as easily as I burn I broke down and bought one.
I've posted some pictures of my site seeing adventure, ther are actually more if anyone ever wants to see them. I hope you are doing well and I hope to hear from you all!!!!
Yours in Dance,
Sabrina

No comments:

Post a Comment