Friday, April 17, 2009

Songkran Festival

Hello Everyone!!

On Tuesday ( I know I'm behind) Khazna and I decided we couldn't sit in the hotel any longer and decided to venture out. We wanted to experience the Songkran Festival which is the Thai New Year Festival. The festival is characterized by people pouring water on the Buddha statues throughout the city and blessing each other with water and a flour type paste. Sounds serene right? So what does all that mean in modern times? Water fight!!!! That's right the streets have been filled with people carrying squirt guns of all sizes, people throwing buckets of water at each other (and off of the back of pick up trucks), and people literally covered with this paste. Khazna and I decided to truly appreciate the cultural experience we should participate (it didn't take much arm twisting, really about one shot of a squirt gun). We purchased squirt guns from a street vender and joined right in. By the time we got back to the hotel we were a mess. The staff at the front desk just kinda shook their heads and laughed at us, I think we've been pretty entertaining to them. I've posted pictures of us once we got back to the hotel, yes we're a mess but it was a blast (of ice water that is :) ) I'll write more later, keep in touch!!
Sabrina


No comments:

Post a Comment